Aggressive · Experienced · Formidable

Frequently Asked Questions

My name is Terry L. Pierce. Over the decades I have helped hundreds of my fellow Oklahomans deal with legal issues. Many of the people who come to me are dealing with the legal system for the first time and have a lot of questions about how the system works. Listed below are answers to some of the questions that I hear every day that might help you make decisions about how to move forward. Of course, I can also speak with you directly. Simply call 405-489-4964 or fill out my online contact form to schedule a consultation.

How Much Are Your Fees?

There are so many factors involved that it is impossible to give a price before discussing the exact nature of your problem. Fees may sometimes be fixed through a particular phase of representation (i.e., prefiling, preliminary hearing, trial, etc.) based on the expected number of hours to be expended during that phase. Commonly, however, a retainer fee will be required to engage my services, and then an hourly rate will be charged against the retainer. Fees vary with the complexity of the legal issues and facts that accompany each individual case. While initial consultations are not free, often, no advance payment is necessary for preliminary discussions about new matters. In personal injury and other contingency matters, there is never a fee to discuss your case – there’s only a fee when you win.

Should I Hire An Attorney From The Locality Where I’m Having Trouble?

The quality of any lawyer is not based on what state or county their office is located in. Best results in any case is dependent upon your attorney’s knowledge of the applicable law, courtroom skills and diplomacy – not whether they are an old buddy of the local prosecutor or judge. If the lawyer with the most knowledge and experience is the local attorney, go with them, and if they are the outsider, go with them still.

I Already Have An Attorney, But Can You Tell Me What You Think About My Case?

You owe your present attorney a reasonable opportunity to hear, discuss and attempt to resolve your problems first. If, after you have voiced your legitimate concerns about your case, he or she does not or cannot make you feel comfortable about his/her continued engagement, then inform that attorney that you would like to seek the opinion of other counsel. Until these courtesies are followed and express permission is granted by your present counsel, I will not review or offer advice in any matter where an attorney-client relationship already exists.

If You Determine That I Am Guilty, Will You Lose Interest In Representing Me?

Absolutely not! It is my calling to advocate for you, not judge you. Where criminal laws are concerned, in the U.S., it is the government’s burden to prove guilt and impose punishment. In general, the government and even civil adversaries are frequently overzealous and high minded in their pursuits. The consequences for the losers can be unjustly harsh – regardless of whether they are deserved. So, level with me so that your case may be mapped appropriately and confess to your Maker so that your eternal destiny may be mapped appropriately, but say nothing to all others. If the opposition cannot prove its side, then that’s its problem. I work for you.

Does Pierce Law Firm, P.C., Handle Cases Outside The Area Of Criminal Defense?

Known originally for outstanding criminal defense, Pierce Law Firm, P.C. has come to be considered a general litigation firm. I offer civil litigation services in business and personal disputes, handle personal injury cases and defend the accused – all consistent with my mission to protect the individual’s freedoms and to level the playing field for my clients in whatever competition they may find themselves. I also offer general counsel to business owners and other regular folks who just want to stay clear of the court system. Some may have legal needs that fall outside of my regular practice. In those cases, I will refer them to other capable lawyers outside Pierce Law Firm, P.C., who share my philosophy of client care.

If Someone Is Charged With First-Degree Murder While On Probation, Is That Automatic Life Without Parole Or The Death Penalty In Oklahoma? Can You Bargain Out?

Life without parole or death are never automatic. A lawyer and investigator with experience in murder cases must have an understanding for the facts before assessing what their bargaining power will be. This will take a considerable amount of time and involvement in the case. But, never underestimate the advantages to a defendant who involves a private lawyer experienced in defending murder cases.

I Got A Citation For Passing A Stopped School Bus – What Am I Looking At?

A plea of guilty to this charge in Oklahoma – assuming the bus had its red loading signals in operation at the time – will result in a license suspension of one year. No jail time, though. A $100 fine is possible as well. You do need a lawyer for this, unless you don’t need a driver’s license for the next year (47 OS Sec 6-205.B, and Sec. 11-705 – this law has been in effect since November 2011).

Can I Get A Ticket For Having A Brand-New Glass Pipe With No Residue In It?

Whether it’s new isn’t the question. The city must only prove that the pipe’s intended use (by you) was to ingest, inhale or otherwise introduce into the human body a controlled dangerous substance. If there had already been residue of CDS in the pipe, then that would be sufficient to charge you with possession of CDS and would certainly be evidence of intended illegal use.

What Is An Ignition Interlock Device (IID)?

An ignition interlock device (IID) is a piece of equipment mounted into a motor vehicle that acts as a breath test. The IID only allows the car to start after a driver blows into the device and the alcohol level is under the legal limit. Every time the IID is used, the blood alcohol information collected is reported to the court.